21 June 2010

My Planned Parenthood Experience

I only understood the true significance of my body and my rights to it after I left a long-term abusive relationship. The healing process turned me toward literature and advocacy that respected each individual's rights to her/his own body. When it came time to apply for internships that actually considered my interests in respecting these issues, Planned Parenthood seemed the perfect choice.

I was completely off base when I imagined the type of work I would be doing as a campaign organizer. Yes, I phone bank, canvass, and fill out data forms, but I also get to table for events and listen to individuals' issues. I am actually working with like-minded people on advocacy issues that are meaningful to everyone involved. People do not work at Planned Parenthood merely to receive a paycheck. The positive energy in the office creates a safe space for conversation and motivates me to get up every morning for work.

Even though we are only about three weeks in, I have learned so much with my fellow campaign organizer, Dani. We muse at how uncomfortable some people are with the presence of condoms at tabling events and how others seem desperate not to make eye contact with us. One girl even asked us if it was awkward handing out condoms. After responding in the negative, we encouraged her to look into volunteering with Planned Parenthood, but she gingerly smiled and walked away. For a country filled with sexual images, people are way too uncomfortable with discussing sexual health and safety. Issues, such as sexual violence, seem to be even further from conversation.

While not everyone is willing to share their stories of abuse, sexually transmitted infections, or pregnancy, I think the more we talk the better off we are. Discussion is not meant to desensitize people on these issues, but to make them more aware of what is out there in the world for them to encounter.

No comments:

Post a Comment